Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hi Everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jenn_w

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Hi Everyone!   Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

Hi
I just today became a member of this forum and am happy to be here. This seems like a great site and its nice to hear from other suboxone patients.
I've been on suboxone since 12/13/2010. My husband and I were both addicted to pain pills (oxy's percocet, etc) and ended up going to the methadone clinic about two years ago. After being at the methadone clinic for a year and 9 months, we decided to switch to suboxone. Although we had to detox off of the methadone for 4 days before we could start the subs (which was quite hellish!), I'm so glad we both made this change. Subs are working well for both of us and I feel so much better than I did on methadone!
I'm not sure how long I will be on the suboxone, but my doctor seems to be really pushing for me to taper. I started at 20 mg's a day (2.5 sub strips a day) but only stayed there for about 2 weeks. I then tapered to 16 mg's a day for about 2 months. I recently tapered to 14 mg's per day and am feeling fine, but I'm also kind of scared of feeling withdrawals and don't know if my doctor is going to continue to press me to taper each time I visit her (1 time per month). Its not that I don't want to taper, and I really don't want to be on this drug for the rest of my life, but is it okay to take your time when cutting back on the subs? Or should I really just be focusing on getting off of them in the near future? How long does the average person typically stay on Suboxone before completely weening off?
any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Jenn
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone!   Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:57 pm

Hi Jenn and welcome!
I just finished a welcome post to you and here you are posting. That's great.
Jenn, there really is no set time limit for Suboxone. Each person is different, and if your not yet comfortable in stopping Suboxone, let your provider know.
Some people use it as a tool for detox and some people like myself take it for maintenance.
I have been a Suboxone Patient for four years. In fact it will be five years on the 22nd of May. Like you I started on Methadone and stayed on it for four years. I did fine on it and did like it.
I was stable in my treatment and worked 40+ hours a week. But I moved to a state that only has one clinic so I had to switch. The waiting list was about a year long and I knew if I stayed off for that long I'd use again.

For now I'm happy, have no cravings and have my life back. To me, that is all that matters.
If you focus on tapering before you are ready it will be a guaranteed relapse. No one should be forced to end their treatment.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and welcome. If you need anything, let me know.
~nannamom

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
jenn_w

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone!   Thu 31 Mar 2011, 10:09 pm

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate your insight! My Provider kind of puts the pressure on to taper and told me she didn't want me to get into a "comfort zone" with suboxone...(isn't that the point, to be comfortable???). Anyway, when I told her that I didn't know if I was ready to taper yet in the past, she said, "well, there's always going to be a reason why you think you can't." Which came off a little condescending of course. I might just need to find a new provider that I feel 100% comfortable with...
The methadone did work for me too and I have been off pain pills ever since I started at the methadone clinic. Methadone just seemed to make me kind of tired and also caused me to gain some weight. Since I've been on suboxone, i feel like I have more energy and don't have as much of a sweet tooth, thank goodness! I'm so thankful for both methadone and suboxone, as I don't know where I would be right now if I hadn't begun treatment.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone!   Fri 01 Apr 2011, 1:17 am

I agree with you on the comfort zone subject. As long as you are staying away from illicit drugs and working your recovery, that is the point.

You will read online at some of the other forums that it is not good to stay on any kind of maintenance medication.
And there will always be people trying to tell someone else how much medication they should be on. But the truth is, the only person who knows what is right for you, is you.
Work your recovery, enjoy your life and grow old. For some of us, we wouldn't have that chance if not for these medications.

I have used for most of my adult life. I will be 53 in May and my last stint starting recovery was in 2002. That's eight years out of how long?
Hey this is me. I am not using, stealing, scamming and so on.
When I see my provider she talks "to" me. And every time she asks how I am doing on my current dose. She encourages me and I am fine with who I am.
Most days you can find me here on this forum or working on our Suboxone Assisted Treatment website.
be proud of who you have become. We are glad to have you here with us.

If things don't start to get better with your provider, we can start to look for another one. Hopefully she will come around. Check out the website, it is a wealth of information. The site is HonCode certified, everything is backed with references and used by many doctors, counselors and other professionals as a teaching tool.
Enjoy your night and get some sleep. If you need anything, I'll be here.

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone!   

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel :: Suboxone Issues :: Introductions-
Jump to: