Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Doctor not responsive

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishingig

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Doctor not responsive   Fri 13 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

I have been taking Suboxone strips for about 4 months now. I had an opiate problem for about 4 years. Was givin OxyContin, percoset, and morphine due to chronic pain. I became tolerant and started to take way more than prescribed. I have no medical insurance so was unable to go to an inpatient treatment center. I was able to go to a detox center for 5 days and that is where I started Suboxone. I found a Suboxone doctor while in detox to take over my treatment when I got out. He is very strict and requires counseling to stay in his program. Everything was going good for about the first 3 months. I take 8 mg a day once a day. I had to go back to work to help compensate our family business for all the money I took using drugs for years. We had to file bankruptcy and I feel I really need to help get us back on track. There is a reason I was taking the opiates. I have severe pain left foot and have a hard time walking distance. So since I'm back on my feet working (bartending) 3 to 4 nights a week the pain is unbearable. My opiate craving is back like never before. I had a few (2) slip ups where I took 2 8mg strips in a day. When I did take 2 it helped with the pain and the cravings. So I was a couple strips short and had to call the doc and get a few before my appointment. I tried to talk to him about my lifestyle change and that maybe I need more but he totally refused to believe I did. I need to make money badly and this is the only skill I have. I am 47 married and a Mom of a very active 13 year old. Any advise on how to talk to him.
Back to top Go down
Blue Eyes
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 535
Humor : When you know better, you do better....Oprah Winfrey
Registration date : 2012-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Doctor not responsive   Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

Fishingig,

Congrats on your recovery ! That's great !

I'm sorry about your doctor being difficult. That seems unfair.
I know there are people that take Suboxone for pain along with there addiction. And therefore might break up their dose through out the day.
You might try that untill you can figure out how to talk to him about getting more for pain.
My doctor says take 2-4mg every 4-6 hrs if I'm having pain.

Join us for live chat every Tuesday night at 7:30pm EST !!!

NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider.
Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor not responsive   Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

For a lot of people who suffer from addiction and chronic pain, Suboxone has been a godsend. It helps dramatically with my pain as well.
I don't know if the low dosage is a policy of your doctor or what his reasoning may be.
But if a patient has relapsed the doctor should always sit down with the patient to find out what the problem is. And in your case it is pain.
There is no reason why he cannot increase your dose to cover your pain. A lot of people do take 16mg a day of Suboxone. Blue Eyes suggestion of breaking your dose up through out the day is a good one. For people with pain the usual dosage of pain medication is every 4 to 6 hours. The reasoning for having Suboxone patients dose once per day is to get them out of the habit of taking pills throughout the day. Once daily and move on with the day.

Does your provider have a copy of your medical records documenting your pain issues? If not, can you sign a release for him to obtain a copy so that you can go over those records with him?
Maybe if he sees the records he will be willing to increase your dose. Please don't let this get you down. You do sound like your doing a great job with your recovery. I understand having to work in order to help out financially.
If your doctor doesn't agree to increase your dose you may have to think about another job or switching providers. Neither of which is an easy decision I know.
I wish I could be of more help.
Please let us know how it goes with the doctor.
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor not responsive   Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

Good afternoon,
I was here this afternoon and got to wondering how your doing. It would be great if you could check in. Your not alone and you do have people who care about you.
How are things going with the doctor?
I'm here if you need to talk
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctor not responsive   

Back to top Go down

Doctor not responsive
Page 1 of 1