Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Observed Urines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Observed Urines   Mon 19 Jan 2009, 1:09 am

My name is Deborah Shrira and I take methadone. I take it because I have pain, too otherwise I would certainly taper off and start on Suboxone. I am sure we have some patients as members that are on methadone. I haven't opened a new Forum yet for methadone as I did for Suboxone, since I am building a new website. I thought we could all share the same one since basically we all are on medication-assisted treatment. We are not substituting one medication for another as many believe. Yes, methadone is addicting and you can become physically dependent on the medication. A Diabetic is physically dependent on insulin and what about a person with heart problems taking nitroglycerin and I could go on and on...?
You don't have to be an addict to become physically dependent on a medication. If you have surgery or let's say you were involved an a car accident and was badly injured. Whatever, they had to give you pain medication. If you had to take it for a few months believe me, your body will react when you stop taking it. You will suffer to some extent if they do not taper you off of it slowly because you have become physically dependent on the medication ...but does this make you an addict??? I think not but there are many who disagree..all I am asking you to do is open your mind up and think about what I am saying to you?
If your husband or wife is addicted to opiates then if they start taking methadone, it will alllow them to be able to function as you and I do. Methadone is a long acting medication and if you are on the right dose, it stops all your withdrawal symptoms and the agonizing craving which takes over your mind and allows you to live normally while you are receiving counseling and trying to straighten your life out. How is one supposed to deal with the cravings and withdrawal symptoms and at the same time try to put their life back in order? It is too much for anyone to deal with all at the same time. It is actually impossible ...if you could afford to take all the time off from work that you need and you had enough money to take care of your children or spouse while you check into an expensive rehabilitation center, and there are people who can but most of us if we are realistic can't afford to do this and the success rate for those who can afford it is less than 10%. The odds aren't good at all of you succeeding and yet I have spoke with Mothers who mortgaged their homes to be able to afford to send their children to one.
If only they had taken the time to do some research....they are great places to go and withdraw. They offer counseling and group therapy and yes, your child may learn alot about addiction if they choose to listen during the classes and really partake in their recovery and I know from experience. I listened and I learned and I wanted to stop using more than anything but all the education in the world was not going to stop the depression which usually accompanies withdrawal and if you think it stops the craving ...it doesn't. You usually leave there with great intentions but the depression soon takes over followed but the craving and now you are at Home with your family and they think you have been cured but you must remember, there is no cure for addiction!
They are expecting nothing but the best from you and you don't want to let them down because you know you have hurt them enough in the past. You tell yourself you must keep it altogether since they gave up alot for you to go to the expensive rehablilitative facility. You have no job and they are expecting you to start looking for one and obtain one and you just can't seem to come up with one reason to even go on living and the stress is mounting by the day... and all you can think of is how you can obtain the drugs you need...can any of you relate to this? You ares till experiencing minor withdrawal symptoms, the cravings are beginning to dominate every thought in your head and sleep evades you at night....which is common to everyone who has used and no longer have your medication.
Then you hear the alarm and know it is time to get up and resume your job search. You haven't slept and you feel tired and really could care less about looking for a job but you try and pretend everything is going well around your wife and kids,but things couldn't be more wrong in your life.. This is why abstinent-oriented treatment doesn't work for the majority of us. Even if he/she manages to locate work and starts working, it won't be long before they return to using again. I could explain it in more detail but to try and make it short for you, I will tell you first there is no cure!
There is no way a person can deal with the agonizing cravings which return, along with the withdrawal symptoms, add insomnia in and full blown depression ..the job adds stress to the equation and the expectations of your family and friends...and really I shouldn't have to even go on ...but I will add in the fact the person now has a chemical imbalance in his brain and chemicals are important to your brain functioning correctly (they must be in balance) or there will consequecnes to suffer. It is why addiction is a medical disorder and if any of you take the time needed to research the evidence they have discovered in the last decade alone, you would understand why methadone and suboxone works and is so needed.
I am taking methadone. I am very familiar with the methadone maintenance facilities as I attend one. If anyone of you have any questions I can certainly answer them for you.
I'm sure most of you are aware because of the many deaths from methadone and since it has become one of the most popular drugs you can buy off the street...we are having problems once again in our clinics. If you are taking methadone I would like for you to answer a question for me. I have received quite a few questions lately from methadone patients about whether it is legal to do observed urines. I am interested in whether your clinic observes your urines or if they have cameras in the bathroom that observe your ua's.
When I first started on methadone they observed all of our urines. I really didn't like it because I always had trouble urinating as many people do. Since 2001 they stopped observing unless they were supicious of you or had cause to. It has been reported to me now by more than one patient they are observing urines on a regular basis. If some of you could help me out with this and share with me about yours I would appreciate it. Please if you feel uncomfortable being on the same forum with the Suboxone patients then I'm open to all comments and we will see about opening up another one for you as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for answering. I would like to hear from some of you and afterward I will share what the Federal Regulations say about observed urines.
Deborah

Last edited by Admin on Wed 14 Apr 2010, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the material)
Back to top Go down
http://www.SuboxoneAssistedTreatment.org
Sammy

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Sat 31 Jan 2009, 12:03 pm

Smile Hi Deborah, Everyone
First I like to say this is a wonderful place where I can come and share my thoughts and feeling because I too take methadone, I have been on methadone for 3 year's and it has saved my life. Before I was on methadone I was abusing drug's, pills, And my life was getting worse as time went by, For instant buying pills, drugs instead of taking care of my bills, but mostly taking care of my child's needs, attention, clothes etc, That hurt the most, My son deserved stability, the best that life has to offer etc, Anyway I got the help both my husband and I needed, And methadone was the answer for us. I am so grateful for the help my husband and I received. Today I am doing great, My oldest son is 23 yr old and is in the Marine's he has done 4 year's and has signed up for another 4 year's He has been married going on 2 year's to a wonderful young lady, She is a Pediatrician. And my younger son is 15 yr old and is an Honor Student, as you can see I am a very proud mom, My younger son wants to be a nurse, I think that is awesome. Today I have stability and love life. What a difference being away from doing drugs and instead having my family and living a good healthy life. My husband is coming down from methadone, and so I need to learn about Suboxone. I'm glad to be part of this forum and all the people that can relate to what I am going threw. Deborah as far as the clinic I go to they take Monthly urine's. I finally get my weekend takehome cheers I'm really happy about that. well I wish you all a great day, Deborah great job on the website! Hugs Sincerely Sammy.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Sat 31 Jan 2009, 2:00 pm

Sammy,
Hi this is Dee.
I am curious. Your clinic does monthly urines.
Do they still do observed urines?
The clinic that I went to did urines twice a month, and both times it was observed. It didn't matter who observed you.
As long as it was one of the counselors on duty. It was up to lady luck who would go in with you. One time I had to have a male counselor. I was angry because I didn't think it was right, but they said it didn't matter as long as he was a counselor, and they were used to it anyway.
Does your clinic do it that way?
I should mention that when I was on methadone it was back before they stopped the observed urines I believe. Now they are not suppoed to observe you, that is why I asked.
I hope your day goes well for you.
Yours,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Observed Urines   Sat 31 Jan 2009, 6:47 pm

I just wanted to say "Welcome" to Sammy and I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. They do observed urines in the clinic I attend. It is not that I mind them but it is all the other I have to deal with. I am seriously thinking about going to Suboxone. I am just worried about my pain and whether it will take care of it. I am really tired of dealing with these methadone maintenance clinics. They are getting away with whatever they want.

I just wanted to welcome you Sammy and I'm glad you joined with us. I would like to hear from other ones on methadone. Thanks for sharing with us Dee but many clinics have gone back to observed urines. They only do them where I attend when you go from one level to another. If you are considered high risk like I am because of the dose I am on then they do them more often.
Can anyone tell me why we can't post pictures anymore? Is it just me or is it everyone? I am talking about in your post. I really miss beiong able to post pictures. If you can help me figure it out I will appreciate it.
Deborah

Last edited by Admin on Wed 14 Apr 2010, 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong code)
Back to top Go down
http://www.SuboxoneAssistedTreatment.org
Sam

PostSubject: Urines Observed   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 9:58 am

Hi Deborah and Dee
To answer your question about urine's at the clinic I go to they observe, We have a women counsler or a women nurse. But I just have to say I have never heard of a man observing a women to urine, I am shocked, If they didn't have a women or nurse Counsler available then I would say that was there problem not your's. I just can't believe they did that. As far as I'm concern they crossed the line, I don't even care if he was a male doctor, I would think there is a law for our rights as client's. Dee have they done this with other women? Vis Versa?
I hope you never ever have to go threw that again, and if they even asked if you mind If I were you I would tell them yes I do mind, just think how would they like it if they had to do that. As far as I'm concerned they are very unprofessional, and Ignorant. Deborah to answer your question about photo's I do knnow AOL no longer downloads picture's, Barbara may I ask what sort of problems are you haveing at the clinic? My husband has to come off of the methadone, and has 15 Month's to do this in, he was on 145 MG's and is now down to 120 MG's, Also he is thinking if he should go on the Suboxone. That's why I need your suport and guidance, so I can help my husband get threw this. Well get back to me when you can, And once again Thank You for having me here, there's so much I like to learn, and I really do need your suport. Hugs Sincerely Sammy.
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 7:12 pm

Hi Sammy,

I'm not having any problems with my clinic. I have one of the best understanding counselors and my doctor is great.

Company just came in. I'll send you an email later.

Love, Barbara
Back to top Go down
Sammy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 10:43 am

Hi Barbara, Deborah, Dee, Everyone
A very sad situation happened at my Clinic this week, 2 people had overdose and died, I knew the 1 guy he was only 24 year's old and had taken a fentanyl patch, Of the other was a girl I don't know what she took, but I heard she had a aneurysm and I guess it was from taking drugs she wasn't suppose to take, OK here is the Bad NEWs for all the client's that go there even the people like myself that are doing really good, My husband was told by his consulier today, that the Clinic will be open on all holiday's except, ThanksGiving, Xmas, New year's Day, Every other Holiday like Presidents day, 4th of July, Momorial Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Etc The Clinic will be open. They are treating us as if we are in Drug Court. Also in our Clinic, there is a Window for people that are on the Drug Court Program that Drop urine's there, So I hear that the Drug Court Task is coming in at our Clinic and taking over the Urine's for the Client's of the people on the Methadone Clinic, That's not all, My Husband told me that there will be no more take home's issued out, The one's we have we get to keep I have Saturday and Sunday, But I will not get the Holiday's or anymore that I may earn, Until This one Lady that work's there Say's different, I'm sorry but I think this is all very, Very Unfair, I mean Punish the people that mess-up drop there dose some if there using other substance's Let them know the consequences, Because I don't think we all should suffer, So our Clinic Asked drug Court to come and help them take care of the Urine's, So with that taking in effect is the Clinic has to go by what the drug court doe's which is what the State doe's which is Stay Open Every single Holiday Except the 3, Which is ThanksGiving, Christmas and New year's Day, The Lady that Made these drastic changes Is the President, And her dad owns the Clinic, so it's like What she Say's go's, I mean I can understand her being scared of law suite's or loosing there business, I just think she is going about it the wrong way, I think there should be 3 slot's per- say, Like 1 Slot would be people that always have dirty urine's another Slot would be people that have had dirty urine's but are trying, like going to meeting and such, and then another slot were people are doing exceptionally well, that have there take - home's, and the people on the slot that aren't even trying maybe should have consequences of some sort, I don't know, I just think having us in the same Category as drug court is wrong, because we asked for help, we didn't have to go to Court and be Court Ordered to be on this program. I also want to say that This building which isn't that big used to be only used for methadone patients, this bother me that we have a window for people that are in drug court because Where is our Privacy? What if someone I know comes in and has to drop a urine for Drug Court, They are going to know I'm on Methadone, I like having my Privacy, and being on methadone we are stereotyped as druggie's , So no I don't want someone that I may know seeing me in the building " Which Is a very small building" because they will know I am on Methadone, and I believe we all are entitled to our privacy. In anyone wants to respond or has a situation there going threw also please share your story. Thank you Sincerely Sammy.

Last edited by Admin on Sun 19 Apr 2009, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sammy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 11:13 am

Dee I just wrote you a long letter about the Urine's and it was lost, so here I go again, Our Urines are Monitored, I never heard of any change of urine's not being Monitored at all, as far as a man Monitoring you and taking your urien I think the people are Dispicable they treated you wrong, they are so in the wrong, You don't have a man take a womens urine plain and simple, I mean when we go to the doctor isn't there alway's a women nurse in the same room? Dee What they did to you was wrong, and I can't believe they got away with something like that, To make an Example what if a lady had a urine and She was raped at 1 time in her life, she couldn't trust men etc,,It is just so wrong and the people that let this happen, have no bussiness working in a facility of such, That's my oppinion, I would like to know what other people here think of a man monitoring a women's urine, I mean it hard enough we have to be monitored as it is, and to let someone of the other sex watch you, It's Wrong, Please tell me what you all think of this matter, Thank you sincerely Sammy.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 11:46 am

Sammy,
You have raised a lot of good topics here today.
About the observed urines.
I misunderstood, what I was told about them not being observed any more. I am sorry for the misinformation.

I am anxious to hear from everyone here that is now taking Methadone.
Even though I am not on Methadone anymore, I am still intereted in what is going on.

The clinic that I went to was wrong in my opinion in the way they did the observed urines. If a woman did have an issue as the one that you have described, a nurse would be allowed to go in with her. But only if they could be sure that she did not make it up. Say like if she had previously discussed it with her counselor.

Remember that the last time I was in a clinic it was almost three years ago, I would like to think that things have changed by now.
Other than that, I had no complaints against what they did.

I was treated with respect, if I had a problem they would try to work with me to come up with a solution.
I still talked to the director every now and then, and I have kept in contact with one of the counselors as well.

I hope they get things straightened out at your clinic so that soon you will be bale to go back to the way it used to be for you.
You should not have to suffer for something you did not do.
In my prayers,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Sammy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 12:20 pm

Hi Dee Smile
I'm glad all in all you had a good clinic that you went to, and that's awesome you still keep in touch with a counselor. I was curious how long were you on methadone, and at what dose were you on, and was it hard to get off of the methadone? I mean as for myself I would like to get off of the methadone some day soon, but I am so afraid of the withdrawals, I have heard of some people that they tried to get off and they just couldn't, and I can remember this one lady wanted off, and it was mostly because this one guy made rumor's of her at the Clinic, I felt sad for this lady, because of the reason she wanted off, But she did it, So That's why I'm asking is because I'm thinking I want to come off, and if you would share your story of getting off of methadone for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Your friend sammy

Last edited by Admin on Sun 19 Apr 2009, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 3:02 pm

I'm not Dee, but I know she doesn't mine me being me right now. This is Barbara, Your witness to your past recovery. You survived it last time when they took your doses away before and you were like a trouper and happily went through it. You must do it again. For the sake of your existence, you must accept what is brought upon you, with your sword held high that you won't get high. Don't feel bad, be happy.

My close girlfriend is here to work on my computer and to visit. I'm blessed to be where I am today and you are too if you'll look for the good in it all. If you can accept where you are and get comfortable with where you are, a blessing will come. It will be worth it because it's our reward. One day they will realize how a recovering addict isn't just doing what they should have been doing right from the start and we're not treated with recognition that we need help and taken care of. Let all addicts be treated if he shows up for help. Higher help than we're getting. I've got two hundred years of Seminole in my blood and I say I'd say I'm worth it. To be a productive example of A stand up person. You're a stand up person, Sammy and you won't fail, I know you won't.

I got to give over my computer for my friend, So adios amigo

Yours in the struggle, Barbara

Last edited by Admin on Sun 19 Apr 2009, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sammy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 3:29 pm

Hey Barbara
The one that post, at the End, said in my prayer's Dee, So I thought that's who I was talking with at the Time, Also I am Clean as a Whisle Smile I have my weekend Take - home's and I am Grateful, I have been doing really good, What I was trying to Explain was there was 2 death's in 1 week at the Clinic I go to, a very sad situation, Anyway's They are not giving anymore take-home's out, The weekends I have I have, But if I earn anymore there not giving them because of what happened, Sorry I Didn't explain it well, You are right about a Higher power that is incharge Razz so I just let go Let God, Oh there is another New Rule too is no more Holiday's off, only Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Year's Day. The Change's is because of the Deaths, Well I hope I explained it better, I am thankful I have my weekends Take- home's, Get back to me , Yes I'm Standing Strong and Staying Happy Love Sammy.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Thu 12 Feb 2009, 11:37 pm

Hi Sammy,
That post above was me, I think Barbara said what she did because she was posting after you and she was making a comment on what you had said about getting off of Methadone.
To answer your question, I was on Methadone for 4 years. The only reason I got off of it was because I had no where close by to go to dose where I moved to.
In the "Suboxone" section, under the post that you made " Has anyone gone from Methadone to Suboxone" I had made a post to you a few days ago about my switch over to Suboxone from Methadone.
I'm not to sure if it will answer all of your questions. Please go there and read it.
I won't lie to you . When I had to stop Methadone I was miserable.
I never wanted to move from where I was because I was afraid of the withdrawals.
It's not easy, but it can be done. Some days you will feel like you can't do it anymore. And it will take all that you have in you not to go out and use.
But.... If it something that you really want to do, you can do it. Are you thinking about switching to Suboxone? Or are you thinking about not taking anything at all anymore?
Let me know if you need anything, I will be here for you. I promise you.
Sleep well,
Dee
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: I Miss you   Sun 19 Apr 2009, 8:59 am

Hi Deborah,Dee, Barbara, Everyone!!!
I have been gone awhile because, At my clinic they too my yearly troth and it was rather high, So of course there thinking I must be taking methadone on the side, What happen was I wasn't taking my Seizure medication "Dilantin" which heats up the methadone, Anyway I was send home with no dose, It wasn't to punish me, It was to get me back on track, The doctor is very careful because recently a Client had died from taking xanax with his methadone, Anyway's Not dosing was hard I tried to sleep the whole day and night away lol, Anyway's the next day I got to the Clinic quick to dose, They gave me 70 Mg's I was feeling so sick, I felt like throwing up, my mouth was so dry and I had stomach cramp's so bad, So when I got home I waited for the methadone to hit me and when it did it was such a relieve, even though it was only 70 Mg's I was grateful, the next day they raised me 10 Mg's till I got to 100 Mg's and after I saw the Doctor, I asked him for 5 more Mg's and he said yeah, Anyway's I'm only taking 2 pill's of my seizure medication rather than 4, As far as I'm concern I don't need the seizure medication, Because I had 1 Grandma Seizure yrs ago from drug's and not weening off of Klodipin, So I'm not epileptic, But I asked my doctor if I could weed off the dilantin and he said no, So I'm only taking 2, My doctor at the clinic even knows I don't need to take them, because the seizure was drug related, Well I'm feeling so much better on 105 Mg's and I'm not in no hurry to come down Smile, I have 4 day's take-home's Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, And it's awesome, I take benzo so That's probably why the doctor was scared and didn't want another Death from his Clinic, He is a good doctor, Well I miss talking with all of you, Now that I'm better, I'll be checking in, the last time my sugar level was checked it was way high also, So I stopped eating this coco cereal, and I love the Special K with blueberry's, And I walk my dog an hr at morning, and 1/2 at night, My tummy has gone down, That makes me a happy camper, Oh I wanted to inform you that Vitamin C can deplete the methadone as well, Just something I learned. Please write me back I miss you all so much, Love Always Sammy.

Last edited by Admin on Sun 19 Apr 2009, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   Sun 19 Apr 2009, 2:45 pm

Sammy,
Thanks for letting us know what was going on with you. I must admit I was wondering where you had disappeared to. It is good to have you back with us.

I am sorry that you had to go through the horrible withdrawal from your Methadone even if it was a short time. I have been there, and I know how you felt. I really do.
Knowing that you have finally been able to get your takehomes makes me so happy for you, I know that having to go everyday to the clinic can be an inconvenience. I wish and I pray that one day, doctors will be able to prescribe Methadone using their own discretion in the privacy of their own office just like they do Suboxone. But that option is a long ways away if at all one day possible. I believe in Dreams, sometimes they may take longer than I want them to but with determination they can be made real.
I am here if you need me at any time.
Yours In Recovery,
Dee

www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
www.medicalassistedtreatment.org

Last edited by nannamom on Sun 19 Apr 2009, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Content)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observed Urines   

Back to top Go down

Observed Urines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1