Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is Generic Buprenorphine Approval a Blunder? Another opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Is Generic Buprenorphine Approval a Blunder? Another opinion   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 11:19 am

Given the high price of Suboxone and Subutex in the pharmacies we have all eagerly awaited the arrival of cheaper alternatives. While I am glad more patients will be able to afford treatment with adequate doses, I believe many will want to switch from Suboxone to generic buprenorphine, and that this will lead to more abuse and
diversion. Delay in release of the buprenorphine until after release of the combination could have prevented this. What could the FDA have been thinking?

Increase in buprenorphine availability accompanied by lower price on the street may also lead more addicts to attempt to treat themselves rather than incurring the expense of medical supervision. And since many patients (and even a few docs) seem to wrongly assume that precipitated
withdrawal results from the naloxone, we may see an increase in that phenomenon when naive addicts use the drug too soon after stopping whichever full agonist they were dependent upon.

Let us hope the FDA approves a generic buprenorphine/naloxone product post haste and that its price makes it just as much of a bargain as buprenorphine alone for saving lives. And do not switch from the combination to the new generic for financial reasons alone.

Reference Link:
Behavenet Opinion
Posted By:
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org

Is Generic Buprenorphine Approval a Blunder? Another opinion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1