Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Surviving the Holidays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Surviving the Holidays   Thu 17 Dec 2009, 10:57 pm

The Holidays can be a hard time of year for anyone, but when you are in recovery it can be even harder. But it doesn't have to be.
Many of us used to deal with family functions and holidays by taken what made us feel good, something that would help us make it through the day. We couldn't comprehend trying to enjoy ourselves unless we were high or on our way to being high.
Now that you are in recovery, how will you handle the holidays? Will you still go to the in laws for dinner? Take in a concert with a loved one? What about All of the shopping that needs to be done, how will you handle that? So much to do and so little time to do it.
Sounds like a lot doesn't it? Well it is a lot. Anyway that you look at it, it is a lot to do and if your not careful emotional stress can lead you to start "Sinking Thinking."

Here are some tips to help you through the Holidays or any day for that matter.
  • Remember to take time for yourself each day, slow down for some quiet time. Daily meditation for even just a few minutes a day can help you more than you think.

• Make sure that you leave yourself an out if you are attending a social function. Even if it is only with the family. Talk to someone in advance to make sure they will be available for you if the need should arise.

• "Be aware" Make yourself aware of what is going on around you. If you are around a family member that can't seem to not drink during holidays or get together, be sure to let them no and under no certain terms do you drink. Too often people who suffer from an opiate addiction think it is okay to have a drink or two. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Once you start to pick up that one drink it can and most likely lead to thoughts of using. Why take any chances?

It is possible to have fun and enjoy yourself. You just have to change your way of doing things.
A lot of people just say, "Well okay I'll just stay at home then. Staying at home alone may seem like an easy solution but it isn't. Once you stay at home by yourself you start to isolate. Isolation will eventually lead to relapse.

If you get to feeling down and need someone to talk to, come here and post. Someone will be here checking in on the forum. Even during the holiday. As most of you already know, we don't close. I will be working both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
The key is to relax and have fun. You can do it. I know you can. Look at everything you have already gone through. Happy Holidays!
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Surviving the Holidays   Fri 18 Dec 2009, 1:28 am

Hi Dee, Once again you wrote a great post. Even when I was using right at the very end I would avoid family gatherings and holiday parties. Since I been in recovery I am alittle better about it but it is still very stressful for me and I have to push myself out of my comfort zone. I always try to remember back when I used to be excited about the holidays. I just can't wait for that feeling to come back. Last year was the first time in years that I even put up a Christmas Tree. When I was using I just would wish the holidays away and couldn't wait to be over with. This year I know I can make it through I just have to try alittle harder.

Love, Cathy
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Surviving the Holidays   Sat 19 Dec 2009, 1:31 pm

Holidays can be hard.
It can be hard, very hard I know. Last year I struggled because every year before we moved to Alabama we used to spend Christmas Eve & Christmas Day with my in laws. A holiday up at their house is a drama fest. Not to mention drinking, and a sister in law that will lock herself and the others sisters in laws up in the bathroom several times an hour. We all know what goes on, but no one says anything. It's like if they ignore it, it will go away.
In years past it didn't bother me as I was still using. But this is now & last year I told myself that no matter what happened or what anyone did or did not do, I wouldn't let it bother me.
But once we got up there and I started to notice that nothing has changed, it did bother me. Not to the point to where I wanted to use. But I wanted to say something to the ones that were "secretly" using. I wanted to tell them they had no right doing what they were doing in someone else's home, they were stupid, how dare they, the list goes on. They got so carried away with what they were doing, they forgot about their pills and left the bottle in the bathroom. One sister in law went so far as to announce that her doctor told her that it was okay if she wanted to sniff her medication as long as she took it. The reason she brought it up was because she still had the tell tail white powder from her pills around her nose. I was so angry. Maybe it shouldn't have effected me, I mean after all it wasn't my house and I wasn't the one using. But it did pi** me off just the same.

This year, I know we will again go up to visit on Christmas Eve. It will be the first Christmas that my brother in law has been here with all of his family. They recently moved back home from Indiana.
The same faces will be there and the same people locking themselves in the bathroom. I know that I keep going back to the bathroom thing, but that is what gets me the most. I know that there were times when I used I would spend time in the bathroom, but not in someone else's home. Not only is it rude, but disrespectful as well.

I have spoken to my hubby's Uncle. He won't be there but will be close by. His mom lives next door, I have made an arrangement with him. If I decide that I would like to leave ahead of anyone, he will give me a ride home.
It shouldn't have to be this way. Sometimes I want so bad to shake my sisters in law. But I know it won't do any good. She/They refuses to see a problem. One says she is not an addict but a habitual user. What is that? A habitual user.

Wow, did I get off topic or what? I started this post because I wanted to remind everyone to have a "safety net" in place over the holidays. As you can see I still have some issues to work through as far as the holidays family visits are concerned. I do have a ride home though if the need arises. I will have my close circle around me meaning *Gordy & Kris*
I also have my counselors cell phone number in case I need to call him for a talk.
If anyone see anything that I may have left out feel free to let me know. I am always open to suggestions.
It is not an option to stay home. I will be staying home on Christmas Day as I will be cooking for my immediate family. We are planning a nice quiet day.
Thanks for listening. I appreciate all of you.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surviving the Holidays   

Back to top Go down

Surviving the Holidays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1