Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

counseling and suboxone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mai

PostSubject: counseling and suboxone   Tue 16 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm

Hello to everyone -
I began taking suboxone 34 days ago. After the first week my life completely changed. I was somewhat skeptical, but after reading hundreds of success stories, and reading repeatedly the return of "feeling normal" I had to give it a try. It was a risk - I currently care for both my 29 year old disabled son and my mother who has been battling cancer going on 8 years. Up until a year ago, before my mom took a turn for the worst, she helped with my son while I worked. After being no longer able to help due to her deteriorating health, I had to quit my job to care for both her and my son. I have no money, insurance, or resources. The initial cost would be $250/initial exam, $100 1 week follow up, at least $350 1 month for medication - at least $700 to start - it HAD to work. It took me about 4 months after making the decision to take the risk to raise the funds. The best decision I ever made in my life. But there is one thing I don't understand.

At my follow up Monday my Dr said I need to start attending NA meetings. At my first appt I tested positive for marijuana and valium(prescribed) - I used these to help with withdraw, told my doc this. Monday, was negative for all drugs except for the suboxone. So why would he want me to attend NA meetings? The sub has worked so well, it seems there is no need, at least until I start to wean off. I told my doctor this, he said something about "strict regulations" but did not elaborate. This particular doc requires patients come in every 2 weeks - probably for UA testing. This has been very difficult - he is 25 miles away and twice a month I have to find both a ride AND someone to stay with my mom and son, and the rest of the month somehow raise the funds for the appts and medication. Is there some legal requirement that all patients attend NA?
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: counseling and suboxone   Tue 16 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

Hi Mai, First of all I want to welcome you to the forum! My is Cathy and I am a member here. I been on suboxone since Aug. of 2008. Most doctors want thier patients in aftercare like counseling or AA and NA meetings. I guess results shows that suboxone along with some kind of aftercare works best. You can tell your doctor about this forum your posting on it would be consider one form of aftercare.

I don't know what State you are from but you might want to look into something like Medicade. I am in NY and I am on Medicade and that pays for my treatment and I just pay a $3.00 co-pay for my suboxone Thank God! There is a posting here on this forum about $ assistant.

I am sure one of our moderators can give you more info. I am happy that Sub. is working for you. I hope to see you around here. Cathy
Back to top Go down
mai

PostSubject: Hi Cathy   Tue 16 Mar 2010, 11:33 pm

Thank you! I did look into medicaid, in Indiana - to qualify you have to either be pregnant or have a child under 19. There is another program called HIP that covers 19-64 year olds, hopefully they will be able to help!
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: counseling and suboxone   Tue 16 Mar 2010, 11:55 pm

Hello,
My name is Dee and I am one of the moderaotrs of the forum.
Cathy is right, most doctors do require you to attend some type of program and to be honest with you it would be a wise decision for you to do so.
It is also recommended that Suboxone patients attend counseling to help you with the emotional baggage that comes along with addiction.
But it is not a strict rule in order to receive Suboxone at least not by law.
If it is your doctors requirement for you to keep getting your medication, as Cathy said, tell your doctor that you are in fact a member of an on line support group.
Our organization is a Non Profit Organization. Our websites are HonCode Certified. HonCode stands for Health of the Net.
All of the information that is found on our two websites are accurate and with each article or bit of information that you read you will see at the end of it a reference to where that information came from.
You can give your doctor our home office phone number and if he feels the need he is more than welcome to speak to Mr. Dean Vereen. Dean is our President of Operations and Legal Expert.
Our CEO and creator is Deborah Shrira, Deborah is a registered Pharmacist. Our phone number is located at the end of my posts, all calls are confidential.
So you see it is not like this is an ordinary forum that you find on the Internet. Please give your doctor the link to our websites and let him check them out himself. For the Suboxone Assisted Treatment Website the link is: www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
And for our Medical Assisted Treatment of America Inc Website the link is: www.medicalassistedtreatment.org

Beth should be along soon and she can talk to you about the Patient Assistance Program that is offered by the makers of Suboxone; Reckitt Benckiser.
I hope that you will register to become a member of the foruma nd keep coming back to post. It always ehlp so much when you are able to talk to others that have been where you are today.
I look forward to talking with you again soon.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
yrt45

PostSubject: Re: counseling and suboxone   Wed 03 Nov 2010, 2:01 am

I found a Wonderful Place in Pittsburgh that offers one on one Counseling Suboxone Clients.
POSITIVE PATHWAYS...

Great Place!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: counseling and suboxone   Sun 07 Nov 2010, 2:50 pm

Thank you yrt45 for sharing that information with us.
It is always so helpful to everyone to be able to have something to go on when they are looking for somewhere to go for help.
Enjoy the day!
~nannamom

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: counseling and suboxone   

Back to top Go down

counseling and suboxone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1