Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Gain knowledge and share experiences with Suboxone, to obtain support through coming together with one bond in common-To help, support and educate others.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

WELCOME M36!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
samigirl56

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: WELCOME M36!   Sun 28 Mar 2010, 12:27 am

Hi M36! My name is Cathy and I am a member here. I been on Suboxone for 1 year and 7 months. This past year and a half has been life changing! I never thought I would ever see the day were I could stop abusing painkillers. These days I don't take anything stonger than an asprin.

I hope you will get a chance to look around the forum. There is alot of support and education here. The moderators are very helpful and educated about Suboxone.

If you have any questions or just need to vent just post away.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
m36

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Sun 28 Mar 2010, 7:21 pm

Thank you. I live in Canada so it has been hard to find this medication. It is very new here and highly restricted. Only methadone clinics can prescribe it and the clinic I went to I am the first person to have it. Today was my first dose and it seems to be working well. I was in serious withdrawl because they make you wait 48 hours before you can have it in Ontario. I can also only recieve 8mg to start. I have to go to the pharmacy everyday four 8 weeks before they allow carrie homes. I feel I have made the right choice. I have detoxed myself probably 6 times in the last year and a half and that never seems to work. So hopefully this will give me a chance to stay clean for awhile.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2207
Humor : Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. -Christopher Reeve
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Sun 28 Mar 2010, 9:26 pm

Hello M36, My name is Dee and I am one of the moderators of the forum.
It is great to have you here with us and already posting as well. I know it was uncomfortable for you to have to wait so long before you were able to take your first dose but that is necessary. Believe me it isn't because the clinic wanted to see you suffer. You need to be in withdrawal when you take you first dose otherwise Suboxone can actually put you into precipitated withdrawal.(acute withdrawal)
I have never been in precipitated withdrawal but I imagine it could be worse than if you would have waited.
The reason you are having to go in each day and dose for the first 8 weeks is probably to make sure you are stable on your medication and to also make sure they have you on the right dose. If you start to have any withdrawal symptoms or cravings you need to let the clinic know so they can adjust you dose for you. It may take you a couple of months to "settle in" on your dose but once you do you will see a world of difference in the way you feel.

Many of us had tried so many times to stop using in the past only to eventually go back to what we were previously doing. Taking pills or shooting dope for most of us became a regular everyday thing. We needed it to survive to feel normal.
But with Suboxone our days are more normal than they have ever been. No longer do we wake up and start planning the day around finding something just to get us through that day or even an hour.
Making the decision to stop using is tough and recovery isn't always the easy way. But it is the only way.
For me, it is Suboxone or certain death. I'll take Suboxone over death any day. I have been a Suboxone patient for just about four years now.Some Days I wonder if I should be taking it or if I should try and stop. But until I know for certain that stopping is right for me, I will continue to take it.
If you have any questions about Suboxone or concerns about your recovery, we are here to help We do care about you just as we do our other members. I want to encourage you to open up and post as often as you can. It will help you to get things sorted through and talking to people who have walked in your shoes is such a great relief.
I am looking forward to speaking with you.
Enjoy your evening and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin."
Back to top Go down
http://www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Sun 28 Mar 2010, 9:48 pm

Thanks Dee,

I had my last dose at 4:00 pm and now it is almost ten. I stilll feel fine maybe a little sweating not much though. I can't get my next 8mg until tomorrow at 4:00. I don't see my clinic doctor until next sunday so I am at this does until then, so hopefully it works. It is hard because I don't want to miss work so I meet him every sunday. I guess if it is an emergency I could go this thursday to see him. I live in small town and I am a teacher, So I have to go to Toronto which is few hours away. I know I couldn't loose my job legally but in a small town no one would want to send their child to a class with someone they think is messed up. It has been difficult to deal with, worrying about it all the time.
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Sun 28 Mar 2010, 11:52 pm

Hi M36, Congrats! for starting your recovery. You mention Ontario. I live a hope, skip and a jump from there. I live not to far from Ontario lake. I hope the 8mg of Suboxone is holding you for 24 hrs. Dee is right if it's not enought let your doctor know right away. I am also happy to see you posting. I hope to talk to you soon. And again welcome to the forum!

Cathy
Back to top Go down
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Tue 30 Mar 2010, 7:17 am

Thanks you Cathy,
Yes I live near Toronto in Ontario. The 8 mg is holding. Last night I had no sweats and I felt great. So I think I am going to be fine. I know the doctor wants to go up to 16 when I meet him on sunday but I think maybe I will stay at 8.
Back to top Go down
samigirl56

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Tue 30 Mar 2010, 11:48 am

Hi M36! I am happy the 8 mgs is holding you. Are you having any cravings? If you are thats maybe why the doctor wants to bring you up to 16 mgs. You are not suppose to have any craving on Suboxone. I am glad that you have no withdrawal.

Have you ever been to Rochester NY? I live just outside of Rochester in a small town. Rochester and Toronto had a deal with this Ferry thing that was suppose to connect the two cities. They bought the Ferry and upgraded the lake front in Rochester but the whole deal fell threw. A lot of people were very disappointed about it. I know Toronto had a lot of money invested in it also.

Well, M36, I hope you are having a great day!

Cathy
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Tue 30 Mar 2010, 6:58 pm

Hi M36,
How are you feeling today? It could be possible that your doctor is thinking of raising you due to the fact that most people settle in on 16mg. Actually 16mg is the recommend dose from the pharmaceutical company.
The longer you are on Suboxone and away from using the more some of the old temptations may start to try and sneak into your head. If your doctor wants to increase you to the 16mg, you can try it and see how it goes. I think he is just trying to make sure you are comfortable and remain stable in your recovery. If your not comfortable in taking the 16mg a day you don't have to take it. Recovery isn't about what works for everyone else it is about what works for you.
We are all the same in so many ways but yet so different at the same time. Amazing isn't it.
I tell everyone that I meet this one fact that I have found to be true about Suboxone; "Less is more"
And that means simply what it sound like. When you take Suboxone is takes less to do more. People aren't used to that.
When using we get used to the idea that we have to take more of our DOC to feel the effects or even remain well. But that isn't the case with Suboxone.
Now that have started your new life, do something good for yourself. Go out and buy yourself something that you had always wanted but couldn't afford because of using.
Or simply take a long walk to listen the birds (if they're in your area yet) or just enjoy the normal noises of life.
Here if you ever need us. Keep posting.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

Back to top Go down
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Wed 31 Mar 2010, 5:01 pm

Hi Dee,
I will do what he tells me on sunday but 8 seems to be working, I guess by the time 24 hours comes around a may be getting a little leg stiffness but nothing serious so I will see what he says. I have really been feeling great, very similiar to the feeling I get when I am off the pills so I am happy about that. I find once I am off things I start to excercise more and play hockey so that is what I have been doing this week. I am actually going to play in a tournment this weekend which I haven't done in a year because I always felt like crap and was tired from the percs. I have been sleeping well and have my energy back. I find I have thought about percs a couple times and then it automatically kicks in that that will make me withdrawl and I stop thinking about it. So that is something I have to work so eventually when I don't have suboxone I am strong enough to not relapse.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Wed 31 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm

Getting back into a routine will be helpful to you. Once you get back into the swing of things you will probably find those little cravings are less and less. Even now after all of this time I still get a hint of a craving but it only lasts for a fleeting second then things are normal again.
Have you put yourself on a time limit for you treatment with Suboxone?
Will you be taking it for maintenance or use it short term? I am not familiar with the guidelines in Canada so it would be helpful if you could share with me what you know.
Enjoy your evening and be safe.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee

Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Female
Number of posts : 851
Humor : You can't keep it unless you give it away
Registration date : 2008-11-08

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 6:33 am

Hi,

I'm Barbara, one of the moderators,

I'd like to welcome you to our forum as well. I'm late in doing this because of my work and I've been working on tapering off this precious medicine. I've got health reasons why I'm decided to do this. I've been on Suboxone for about three years and can say all in all, it's the best thing I've done for myself since I quit drinking alcohol in 1991.

So glad to see you are taking part in our forum and conversing with us. I love it here and love to interact with our new people. I want everyone I can touch know there is a way out of the clutches of opiates.

I'm on my way to work and have to sign off for now. I'm looking forward to hearing from you myself. My motto is: "You can't keep it, unless you give it away." I must continue my walk back through my life and want back when the child in me was so untouched by drugs.

Yours in the struggle,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 4:32 pm

Hi Dee,
I am going to complete a program with my doctor so i will be on it until I am finished and then he is going taper me of slowly. So I don't exactly how long I will be on it. I don't want it to be long term but long enough to help. In canada it is strict. No carries for 8 weeks for suboxone. 8 mg for the first 3 days, I am staying on it longer at 8 because i am only seeing my doctor once a week. It is not has strict as methadone. They don't allow carries for 7 months and they have to be picked up in locked box. The suboxone is really new here, like I said i am this doctors second patient on it. Suboxone is also not covered by our health plan and methadone is. I have benefits from work so it is covered for me otherwise it would be expensive. Before I got it ok through my health plan I paid 30 dollars for my first 4 -2mg pills. In Canada we have free health care but not drug plans but forsome reason methadone programs are funded by the government. It really makes no sense any doctor can presribe painkillers and as many as they want but very fee can presribe something to help people that become hooked on them. i am sure it is the same in the USA. Talk to you soon.
Thanks barb for the welcoming message.
Back to top Go down
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 4:34 pm

Sorry about all the typo's, I am terrible typer.
Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 8:43 pm

The house is still and the minute is mine. I wanted to add there is a possible solution to this temporary problem. The drug makers have a patient assistance program. I lost my insurance at one point and so-in-so approved me to recieve my medication by U.P.S. for one year. By then I had my insurance back by then.This might help?

I'm just thrilled you are posting and enjoying our company. It just makes the world seem like a happy jazz song. No blame or shame...blue shys and a red golden sun set. I have so much to be absoluetly high on how good things are. I get so filled with joy I have to stop before I go into too far in the future. "M" will you share with me where you want to be in five years, six months, 30 days? I'll answer you on our talk anything site here. I'll put it in yellow letters.

Much love and the way,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 11:45 pm

M36
Thank you for explaining the process for Suboxone in your area. Barbara mentioned the Patients Assistance Program that is run by the makers of Suboxone, "Reckitt Benckiser" given the way the program works in Canada I am not sure if it is allowable but I would like to find out.
Yes, here it is the same for providers. Any doctor can prescribe an opiate as long as they have the DEA # to do so. But in order to prescribe Suboxone for Addiction they do have to go through some (not much) special training. And some of that training can be done online.
I believe that if a doctor can be license to prescribe opiates, they should also have to go through the program and become certified to prescribe Suboxone. I just don't think they want to go through the trouble. Plain and simple.
Thank you again for sharing that information.
Enjoy your weekend and please let us know how the weekend progresses.
Dee

Back to top Go down
Barbara Rue

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Thu 08 Apr 2010, 12:33 pm

Hi M,

Did you get your medication straightened out? I was just wondering how you are and if there's anything I can do or say to help. I'll be in and out through the day. I'll be checking the forum for your post and here if you need to talk or ask a question.

Thanks for being here,
Barbara
Back to top Go down
m36

Male

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Wed 14 Apr 2010, 7:14 am

Hey,
I am now on 12mg and that has been for the last week and a half. It seems to be the perfect dose. I have no effects now, not even minor sweats when I get close to 24 hours before my next dose. Everything is great, I feel really well. Thanks for asking.
Back to top Go down
nannamom
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   Wed 14 Apr 2010, 10:37 am

Hello
Thanks for checking in. It is great to hear that your dose is working out for you.
Let us know if there's anything that you need. We are here to help out in any way that we can.
Enjoy your day!
Dee

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WELCOME M36!   

Back to top Go down

WELCOME M36!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suboxone: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel :: Suboxone Issues :: Introductions-
Jump to: